Wednesday, February 5, 2014

And then he was FOUR!

It's true, Mad Max is FOUR!  Every year I write on his birthday and every year I am amazed at how quickly the time has gone by.  It truly seems like yesterday we were preparing for Max's arrival. (Birth Day) I can hardly believe he is really FOUR!

I've mentioned in several posts that my experiences in parenting my now adult daughter and my son could not have been more different.  From the first year (365 Days) I learned that a true good night's sleep was not something most parents of newborns experience and that most babies cry.  A LOT.  There was more learning to be done in year two (Two Much Fun!) when I realized that most toddler boys are crazy little tornadoes just waiting for the opportunity to crash into something, throw something or just make a mess in general.  Year three was a real eye opener.  It was then I realized I was most likely being punished for having a daughter twenty years earlier who was a model child and often made me look at other children and their parents and judge them based on the fact that their child was behaving "badly" in some way.  (Terrible 3's) When parenting my daughter through the toddler years, in my infinite eighteen year old wisdom I often remarked that I was so grateful that  that I didn't have a child who exhibited any kind of obnoxious toddler behavior.

I have spent the last four years learning how to be a different kind of parent.  Learning how different my children are and figuring it out all over again as if I had never done it before.

This year as Max's personality is further developing, I am also seeing just how alike my kiddos are.  Like his sister, Max has quite the sense of humor.  From trying to be funny with made up knock-knock jokes to actually being funny with a sarcasm and wit that he can deliver with charm and a smile.  At barely four years old, I am both impressed and a little concerned for what our future holds with that child as a teenager.  Also like his sister, Max has a way of making your day better.  From a genuine hug or a compliment on how pretty you look on a not so pretty day, he has an incredible ability to bring a smile to your face.  While neither of the kids are excited about chores, both will do what you ask them to do with only eye rolling from the college student and little argument from the very typical four year old.  As I reflect on the last four years and how different my experiences were with each child, I can't help but think I somehow managed to be the luckiest person I know TWICE!  I ended up with two wonderful and incredible children who make my day brighter just by being here.  They are bright, sensitive, good natured and kind.  They are funny, warm and loving and they both make me want to be a better parent in two very different ways.


Dear Max,
I have loved watching you grow into the awesome four year old boy you now are and cannot wait to see what is in store for you!  Thank you for being you!  Thank you for letting me be part of your world and reminding me every night with just one hug that while I may not be a perfect Mom, I am the perfect Mom for you.  Happy Birthday Mad Max!  You're my absolute favorite boy in the history of ever!



Dear Allyssa,
Thank you (AGAIN) for making me a better me.  As we continue to watch Max take in and emulate everything that is wonderful in you, thank you so much for being you and being the kind of person that your brother can look up to.  I love you to the moon and back!

No comments: