Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Two Much Fun!

Another blog... that I forgot to publish.  Grrrrr......




Is it just me or did the past two years completely fly by?? It seems like yesterday we were on the ride from hell to the hospital and now... Mad Max is two! It truly is amazing the transformation that happens between birth and two years old. We brought home an almost nine pound baby boy who did nothing but poop, sleep, cry, eat, repeat. Now we have a miniature man who laughs when he passes gas and has no problem telling us what he likes and does not like. He went from waking up every two hours to going to the potty every two hours. From crying the second we removed him from his swing to crying the second we turn off Monsters, Inc. He went from having to be fed and changed, to eating anything and everything in sight with a fork and using the bathroom on his own. All of this in just twenty-four short months! It is truly unbelievable at times.

I never knew what sleep deprivation was until that little man came along. I had never been peed on and had never had to potty train a child. I had never been awakened by the sound of a screaming infant through a monitor and had never had baby vomit on my clothes.  (My sweet daughter was a miraculous infant / toddler.) I never knew just how badly a diaper pail could smell or how little tolerance one child can have for being told no.  I never knew that teething molars could be so miserable. FOR EVERY PERSON IN THE HOUSEHOLD!  I never knew that one small boy could make such incredibly large messes.  I never knew that tantrums really can last for what seems like forever and that sometimes you just have to leave the room that the screaming demon -- oops I mean child -- is occupying.  I never knew that a one year old boy can go from a completely adorable angel to Captain Destructo in less than 60 seconds.  I never knew that ANYTHING can turn into a car or a dinosaur at ANY moment.  One second he's eating an apple slice and the next it's being driven up and down your arm, horn honking and all. 

I never knew how much I would miss getting up in the middle of the night.  I never knew how sweet (and funny) it would be to hear a now two year old Max call us from his bed in the mornings.  I never knew just how much fun toddler boys have.  I never knew how imaginative he would be at two years old.  I never knew that a kid could have so much fun feeding himself.  I never knew how precious it would be to hear him say "Sowwy." I never knew he would love books this much.  I never knew he would melt my heart with, "MOMMY HERE!" when I pick him up at daycare.  I never knew how much he would adore all of the people in his life, including the dog.  I never knew how contagious his belly laugh was.  I never knew I would have this much love in my heart for TWO children! 

Dear Max,

On your 2nd birthday, thank you for being the absolute sweetest boy - even when it's difficult.  Thank you for teaching me that some toys are just more fun when they are being crashed into walls, that sometimes it's fun to eat yogurt with your fingers and that if you're outside and there is a running hose within a three house radius, you should be in it!  Thank you for loving your parents, your sister and your dog and thank you for actually saying it.  And selfishly, thank you for making me look good by saying please and thank you and using the toilet.  You are the best little boy I could have ever hoped for and I hope you still love me and think I am funny for MANY years to come! 

I love you Mad Max!  Happy, Happy Second Birthday!

No comments: