Wednesday, February 6, 2013

TERRIBLE 3's

I really cannot believe that Max is already three!  It is funny to think about how quickly the time has passed but realize how much we have all changed in these three quick years!

Here's my best parenting advice.  If someone tells you the 2's are terrible, they didn't let their child survive to see 3.  Mad Max just turned three.  He is precious.  He is cute and even sweet.  Until you tell him NO.  Then he turns into something that resembles the offspring of a honey badger and the exorcist.  He cries and screams and throws out idle threats like, "You are NOT my best friend!!"  Really, no??  Talk to your sister about what a great friend I was to her.  Or my personal favorite, "I AM NOT OUR KID!!"  HA!  "No Sh*t!  My kid wouldn't act like this!  Honey Badger called and your dinner is ready, scurry home kid!"

I used to be THAT Mom.   My older daughter trained me very well how to be THAT Mom.  She never cried, never threw a tantrum and always did what I asked her to do and most of the time she had a smile on her face.  I was the Mom that heard a kid say, "I am not your kid!"  and thought to myself, "What a spoiled little urchin!  His Mother TOTALLY deserves that little meltdown.  Maybe if she had been parenting instead of _________, or _____________ or ___________________...."   Insert anything there.  You get the idea... 

Then along came Max.  Max had a different learning plan for me.  He wanted me to know the error of my ways.... In a BIG way.  He wanted me to question my ability to raise a boy.  He wanted me to wonder why on earth a kid who has anything he could ever need and more love than he could ever imagine would be having a major meltdown over whether or not the ketchup should go ON the burger or on the plate.  He wanted me to question all of my preconceived notions about little boys and their parents.  He wanted me to wonder how little boys are built with a mechanism in their brain that forced them to laugh at the noises their bodies can make.  I'd like to think he also wanted me to wonder how a three year old has such an incredible imagination and sense of  adventure.  He wanted me to learn the art of letting go of things that don't matter.  He wanted me to learn that rain boots are perfectly acceptable attire.  Day or night. Rain or no rain.  He wanted me to learn that stalling at bedtime is just another way of saying, "I love you."  He wanted me to learn that smelly boy kisses and hugs are some of the best kisses and hugs there are and he wanted me to learn that I love you much, MUCH!  Means a love bigger than I would have ever imagined a three year old boy could love.  

Mission Accomplished Little Man!  You are a terrific teacher!

Dear Max,

Good and sometimes not so good, thank you ALWAYS for being you. Thank you for being funny, imaginative and unique.  Thank you for reminding me every day for the last three years that I am here for a reason, even when I am not exactly sure what that reason is and for showing me a different side of parenting a toddler.  I love every single thing about you, even when we are NOT best friends!

Happy Birthday Mad Max!  I love you much, MUCH! 

No comments: