Saturday, January 5, 2008

Myth vs. Reality

So I officially "came out" via the world wide web. This still makes me chuckle a little bit because I suppose I didn't realize how many people that I don't see in "real life" didn't know I was gay! That being said, after the shock wore off most of my friends were very happy for me and very supportive. I did find out that LOTS of people don't really KNOW any lesbians – or not well enough to ask them very personal questions --- oh wait, if they didn't know I was gay, they probably don't know me well enough either…. Just kidding. So I decided I would occasionally write on the topic to close the gap between myth and reality.

My first theme… Girls Dating Girls.

So now we ALL know, I am a Lesbian. I live in the South, do not live in a "gay" neighborhood AND… I do not even remotely resemble your stereotypical lesbian. (Please don't pretend not to know the type, just because you judge by appearances doesn't necessarily mean you are homophobic.) I have had the question asked - MORE THAN ONCE – "So, which one of you is like, uh, the uh, guy?" I am here to tell you, we are both very much girls – and we both happen to like it that way. Now, anyone of you that has met my lovely Lisa can attest, that while we are both definitely women, she on most days is less feminine than I am. Not all couples have these "roles" but I would like to share with you the advantages to being of the more feminine variety and finding that your attractions lie with the opposite.

So here are my Top Ten Reasons I completely understand (and highly recommend) loving a woman of the less feminine variety.

10.) If you play your cards right and choose carefully, you can double your wardrobe. (At least where cargo shorts and t-shirts are concerned.)

9.) You will never have to cry over IKEA's horrific directions again!

8.) Mowing your own grass, a thing of the past.

7.) More counter space for your own hair care products.

6.) Being allowed to choose any and as many home décor items as you like and not having to argue over decorators' colors.

5.) Never again will you blow a fuse due to too many hair care appliances being plugged in at once.

4.) You will never look all over for your eyelash curler only to find it's in her purse.

3.) Never having to go to the bar for my own drinks.

2.) You will never receive a gift that was given in hopes that you will share. Example: bags, hats, shoes, perfume, etc.

And the number one reason I love a woman less feminine than myself….

1.) I get all kinds of ME time during football season!

No comments: