Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

2012... Does that even seem possible? Time really does just disappear sometimes doesn't it? I can hardly believe that Mad Max is just one month away from turning two and even more unfathomable, my sweet girl will be TWENTY this year! And re-reading that sentence reminds me of how absolutely crazy I am!

2011 was full of many things to be thankful for. Good and bad it all makes us who we are. I, like many other people didn't see my all of my 2011 resolutions to fruition and like those same people I made resolutions again this year. Except this year I decided to make my resolutions more attainable. I am giving up dark liquor and cigarettes. That shouldn't be a problem.

Do you ever wonder why people don't resolve to just be a better version of themselves? It seems like it would be an easy one. Small changes would make the resolution a success. For some of the people in my life, I can help you achieve that goal. (Don't worry, I won't use names!)

For instance, if you don't typically say please and thank you, you could try that. Even part-time manners would be an improvement to no manners at all.

You could stop using social networking sites as a way to gain sympathy from your "friends." I don't know many adults who actually feel sorry for the Poor Me Facebook poster. Remember what you put out is what you get back. Try it, you might like it!

You could stop wondering why your job is crap when your performance is crap. Just a thought.

You could self-reflect - just once or twice and really try to see where your responsibility lies in any given situation. It's very easy just to own up to your mistakes and people will actually... Wait for it... Respect your commitment to honesty and responsibility! Bonus!!

You could lose the passive - aggressive behavior. I've spent thousands on therapy learning how to deal with people like you. It's old, it doesn't work. Try something new.

You could remember to think about how your actions or inactions affect those around you. It's not always all about you.

Once in awhile, you could think beyond today. Unless the world really does come to an end this year, there will be a tomorrow, a next week, month and year. Your behavior today just might affect your tomorrow. Be more mindful of that.

Think about how your actions, behavior and attitude DIRECTLY affect your children. Every day is a lesson for them and it's important to ALWAYS remember, you are showing them how they should behave as an adult. Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be.

Tell the truth. Nine times out of ten, we all know you're lying. It makes you look stupid and makes the rest of us angry that you think WE are stupid.

And lastly because this list really could go on forever, just try to do the right thing at least once a day. You have 15-20 hours a day to do it. Fit it in somewhere!

Easy right?? Maybe being a better version of oneself is more difficult than it seems. I'm going to try it. I'll let you know.

No comments: